Re: X on an old laptop

Hi,
	I(m using a T2000Sx Toshiba notebook with a 386SX-25 and
a monochrome VGA board inside. There is no hard disk, but I have an
expansion memory card (8Mb) plugged in and a parallel ZIP drive with
Debian 1.2 installed on a disk (I boot the kernel from a floppy, and
then the kernel mounts the root filesystem from the zip drive). I have
tried the VGA mono server once, it worked, but was kinda slow (10Mb swap
on a ZIP drive doesn't help much). However, once it was up and running
(bare fvwm as a window manager), it was quite smooth (mouse cursor wasn't
sluggish). Although this setup ate all the laptop's memory, I believe that
I can do better by removing still some more fonts and/or changing my shell
to something smaller than bash (running less getty's and removing the few
daemons - cron, atd - I have running would probably help, too).

	Note that I haven't tried (and won't, actually) updating
the distro to anything newer, because AFAIK nothing recent will fit in so
small a configuration. And I had to install on the ZIP disk using another
computer, too, because this laptop doesn't have PCMCIA nor CD drive, and
installing on such a model via PPP would be a pain. On the other hand, I
don't really have to update, because it works perfectly well (as I said, I
don't use X on it) and is even able to drive an external modem or be
connected via PPP to my local network.

This is probably not useful anyhow, but you wanted a success report ;-)

Best regards
raph