M-TECH boot

Looking for help persuading my laptop to boot into Debian.  I want to make it
dual-boot, via LILO, into Linux or Win98.

I'm trying to install Debian 2.1 from the Official Intel Binary Disk CD set.
I've done this before without problems, using the exact same CDs, on a  laptop
and on a desktop.  But not this time.

I work through to "Make Linux Bootable Directly From Hard Disk", "Install a
master boot record on /dev/hda" (Yes), and "Make Linux the Default Boot
Partition" (Yes).  Then I remove the install CD and reboot, via the
installer's dialog box.  Rebooting results in "Insert Boot-Disk and press any
key".

At this point, it will boot only from a floppy (boot device order is CD,
floppy, HDD).

If I CTRL-ALT-DEL and reboot using the install CD, I see this partitioning
scheme, as shown by cfdisk 0.8l:

/dev/hda
Heads: 240   Sectors per track: 63   Cylinders 839

Name  Flags Type    FS                Size (MB) (Sectors) (Cylinders)
                    Unusable             7.39      15120      1
hda1        Primary Unknown (84)       140.28     287280     19
hda2        Primary Win95 FAT32 (LBA)  339.61     695520     46
hda3  Boot  Primary Linux ext2        5574.03   11415600    755
hda4        Primary Linux Swap         132.90     272160     18

(I've munged it to show all the size units together)
After restoring the boot flag to hda2, it will boot into win98 as usual.
The laptop brand is "M-TECH".  Further details in case they're relevant:

BIOS (these descriptions appear during boot sequence):
   SystemSoft MobilePRO BIOS Version 1.01 (2482-00)-(R1.14)
   SystemSoft Plug-n-Play BIOS Ver 1.17.01

BIOS version (according to "Version Info" in BIOS setup):
   1.00.03, Date: 10/22/97

BIOS settings:
   PNP OS support disabled
   Chip: 466MHz Celeron MMX
      L1 cache: write back, L2 cache: write back
   Chipset: Intel 440BX.
   IDE settings:
      Primary HDD
      Drive Enabled, PIO Mode on
      UDMDA-33 Function disabled
      32Bit I/O disabled

Hard disk:
  Has various names and numbers on its sticky label:
  Toshiba MK6411MAT
  HDD2143 U ZE02 T
  E145163  LR39635
  S/N Z9M72966T OQ3 EC.A
  CP004505-01
  And a long list of patent numbers (thanks Toshiba)

The novel features for me this time are the make of BIOS, and the presence of
the first two partitions, the 'unusable' and the 'unknown' (latter is a
"Suspend-to-disk" partition).  Is one of these the culprit?

Hoping for help,

Nick