Re: PCMCIA problems with TOshiba T1900 Satelite

#  2. Maybe the Toshiba can't handle a 10/100 NIC/Modem card since it's
#     old and a 486sx after all.

  Don't know

#  3. Maybe I need to reinstall Debian with the NIC/Modem in the slot
#     rather than the 10Mbps NIC so the installation will detect it and
#     install around it.

  No, when pcmcia works fine, you can put in and take out cards
whenever you like. If a card is recognized, it says high-beep,
high-beep. If not, it say high-beep, low-beep (or just low-beep,
apparently, sometimes).

  I haven't had pcmcia problems recently, so I more or less forgot what
the possible problems can be.

  Is the other laptop a linux machine too? Does the card work with a
linux machine? One possibility is that the card is unsupported : there
should be a list of supported cards amongst the files provided by the
pcmcia package. Check in (somewhere like) /var/lib/dpkg/info/-
pcmciaXYZ.list for a file named /ABC/DEF/supported.cards, and in that
last file, for the name of your card.

  Other possibility you don't have the kernel module needed for that
card : if I get it correctly, when you put in a card, the card manager
(cardmgr?) loads the kernel modules that are needed to drive that
card. You probably have the pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-modules debian
packages installed. Does the later's version match the linux kernel's
version?

  My source of information : the pcmcia-howto, which you can probably
find at http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html.

  Good luck

  Etienne