How do I get ALSA drivers to work with potato?

Hello,

Let me start with what I have going right now.  I have the frozen distro
installed right now, with the 2.2.14 kernel and 0.4.1i ALSA source on a IBM
ThinkPad i 1480 that has the ESS Solo sound chip.

First I ran snddevices from the ALSA source dir, then alsaconf before
compiling anything.  I've compiled a kernel with sound support as a module
with make-kpkg.  I also used make-kpkg to make my pcmcia and alsa modules.
When I install the alsa modules last, I get the message:

Starting sound driver: snd-card-ess1938 failed.

Any pointers on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Mark