minimizing disk access & strange noflushd behavior

noflushd (versio 1.8.1-1) spins down my hard drive even when it hasn't
been idle for long, and it always spins it back up exactly 20 seconds
later.

I'm having a tough enough time getting other programs to stop hitting
the drive and let it go to sleep.  I don't need that kind of attitude
from noflushd!  :)

I also have mobile-update 1.0-1 installed, and have noatime set on all
my filesystems.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

I'd also enjoy advice on how to track down which programs are
accessing the disk.  I could stat every single file and directory, but
I'm hoping there's an easier way.