Re: Problems with pcmcia on potato (on Dell Latitude)

> I can see your frustration.  It looks as though you're stuck half-way
> through the installation.  /lib/modules *is* the correct place for the
> kernel modules.  I think you should only get a /target directory during the
> initial installation procedure.  But I can't say anything more about it than
> that.

Maybe someone else has some idea why the installer's creating that
/target directory on my machine and not copying the files to
/lib/modules.  I wonder if it'd help if I copied them manually rather
than just making the symlink....

> How are you accessing the net from your machine?  You said you already
> downloaded everything, so how did you get those files to your machine?
> Can you get everything on to a local hard drive or cdrom ready for
> installation?

It's a dual-boot system, so I download the files to the 'Dows
partition.  The Xircom card works fine under 'Dows.  As to getting
everything there for a local install, that wouldn't matter since it's
broken even before installing base.

> Another point about slink, I think you should be able to grab the latest
> pcmcia-cs source from frozen, so that you have a version which supports your
> card, and compile it for slink.  I believe pcmcia should be "backwards
> compatible" for the 2.0 kernel, it's an independent component after all.
> Could you try that, getting a working pcmcia system under slink, then
> carry on the upgrade to potato (or stay with slink, with the updated pcmcia
> version)?  You can find the instructions on how to compile the modules inside
> /usr/doc/pcmcia-cs.

I tried this.  I borrowed a 3com card from a co-worker, and using that
was able to do a bootstrapped net install of slink.  But when I built
the latest pcmcia-cs it didn't work.  I traced the problem to the
pcmcia starupt scripts passing route a parameter it couldn't handle,
figured I'd update to potato's route, and quickly found myself needing
to update half the packages.  Meanwhile I didn't have the 3com card
any longer and so had to boot 'Dows over and over.  At that point it
seemed better to just install potato from scratch.  It's frozen, after
all. :-)

Thanks!

--Eric House

* From the desktop of: Eric House, fixin@peak.org                            *
*     Check out Crosswords for PalmOS: <http://www.peak.org/~fixin/xwords>   *
*          "The instructions said 'Win98 or better' -- so I installed Linux" *