Re: Flashing screen in X with Chips 65540

Hello there,

> When running X in 15 bpp or more using the xfree86 server and the
> specific model "chips 65540" on my Acernote 350 a lot of "trash" occurs
> on the screen when moving the mouse pointer or when there is any
> acticity on the screen.

I encountered a similiar problem with a chips&tech 65535 chipset with
8bpp and the svga-server, although the matter is somewhat different. When
I start X I get a severely distorted screen (It doesn't seem to be a
problem of the dotclock, I use the lowest dotclock possible, which worked
with the vga16-server). The flatpanel size is probed correctly. I also
tried the use_modeline option and fiddled with the modelines, but it
didn't help.

> This can be fixed by entering the text-mode hardware APM configuration
> menu accessible through a button on the laptop and then returning to X
> shortly after.

Similar case with me: When I do a LCD/CRT hardware switch (Fn+F5) and back
again, the problem is fixed, and X runs well. But terminating X, the
console, from which I started X, is crumbled and I have to do the same
again.

Does anybody have a solution for this problem? After reading Christian's
mail it came to my mind, that it could be a general problem with the
chips&technology graphics devices. Is this true?

Daniel