Re: PCMICA Network and Modem card

On Jan 13, lordsaint415 wrote:
> I have a Sony Vaio F250 laptop and I would like to know what is the
> difference between a normal pcmcia card and a cardbus card.
> And which is compatible with Debian.

PCMCIA is the old, 16-bit PC Card specification.  CardBus is the
32-bit specification, which brings PC Cards up to about PCI speeds.

PCMCIA is better supported, but the latest pcmcia-cs packages include
CardBus support.  I've used a CardBus Adaptec SCSI adapter with few
problems on an F270 (except the bloody cable is too short; I have to
literally balance my laptop on top of my SCSI enclosure for it to
reach).  Dunno about CardBus modems and network cards; however, I keep
frying 3Com NIC/Modem combos (PCMCIA) in my F270, because there's zero
ventilation in the PC Card slots.  A Linksys combo card works better,
but it doesn't have a 10Base2 connector, so I ended up with two
Ethernet cards...

Chris
|       Chris Lawrence       |   You have a computer.  Do you have Linux?   |
|  <quango@watervalley.net>  |     http://www.linux-m68k.org/index.html     |
|    Open Directory Editor   |      Join the party that opposed the CDA     |
|      http://dmoz.org/      |              http://www.lp.org/              |