Re: cd-rom

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Philipp Timmalog wrote:

> Hi List,

moin, moin Philipp,

> i already wrote about the problem of a cd-rom.
> Today i read an article about the joliet system and i forgot to wrote
> that i run debian on the same harddisk as windows 98SE runs.

Duel-booting shouldn't matter for this.

> Maybe this is the problem. Somebody here who can help me. I wanna know
> how to get my kernel work with the iso9660 standard
> without recompiling the kernel.

You don't need to recompile the kernel, but you do need to go through the
same steps. Presuming you've got kern source in /usr/src/linux, as root cd
into there, then do a "make xconfig &" (from within X making sure that
your root shell is set to display in your X environment and that your X
environment will let it, or "make menuconfig" or "make config" as you
prefer). Under "Filesystems" you will find options for ISO9660 as well as
Joliet extensions. Enable ISO9660 as a module. Saying yes to Joliet should
only affect that module, so you shouldn't need to rebuild the kern to
enable it (or so I would think).

modules && make modules_install". You might need a "make dep" before that,
the config program will let you know when it exits.

This will add ISO9660 support as a module and that module should support
the Joliet extensions. You shouldn't need to reboot to use the module, but
probably need to do a "depmod -a".

ciao,

der.hans

--