eth0(pcmcia) network not starting up at bootup.

Can someone tell me what to modify to get my ethernet to start after booting
the machine.  Everything worked fine until I ran an upgrade on my potato setup.
 It changed the pcmcia stuff and it has not worked since.  I can manually start
it after a boot, but I really would like to get it back to being automated.  I
don't remember exactly when this started, but it was a couple of upgrades ago.

thanks,

chris