Re: network configuration

thanks for the overwhelming response!!  i am out of the university where
they had the ethernet NIS etc ..but i learnt a lot over the week than over
the past week there!! . and now I am facing problems with PCMCIA
PPP)dial-up protocol).. when I try vwdial(or wvdial) i get an error saying
that there was an input/output error.. but i remember that when i
installed debian the modprobe detected the PCMCIA card modem right ...
there are two PCMCIA cards on this laptop and one is a ethernet and the
other is the modem ... now i have these questions ...

do I have to set-up any COM ports etc on which the modem is
communicating ??or do I have to do any more configurations other than what
the install script/program has done to configure PCMCIA
dial-up(dial-out)???

any himts on this please!!

thanks,
praveen kamath