Re: screen goes black

On Monday 18 December 2000 12:07, Terry 'Mongoose' Hendrix II wrote:
> Russell Coker wrote:
> > It's a Thinkpad T20, the latest series from IBM, it's one of the fastest
> > laptops on the market.  It was previously working fine until I recompiled
> > my kernel (with the same version and options as before).  This machine
> > outperforms most desktop machines that are being sold today, and for
> > server type operations outperforms most Sun server machines.
>
> hahaha, no it's not faster than most suns - a p3 @ 700Mhz is slower than
> a sparc @ 250Mhz, because x86 wastes so many clock cycles.  Also sparc
> chips are multstreaming and can do many more operations per clock.  =)

That's a nice theory.  But when I use CPU intensive programs like gzip on
SPARC and Intel machines I find that I get about the same amount of work done
MHz for MHz on Intel and SPARC.
In my tests a P2 @ 400MHz is faster than a SPARC at 250MHz.

BTW  I don't really care what programs like SPEC-CPU say about CPU
performance.  Programs that I run and which use lots of CPU time such as
gzip, and clfmerge run faster on Intel.

> > The symptoms (for the third time) are that the screen goes entirely blank
> > but then anything which is re-drawn (for any reason) displays fine.
>
> If you didn't change your X server or libs, then check your BIOS
> settings and make sure you're not using something that would lag
> refresh.  It's also possible you enabled something foo in APM when you
> recompiled your kernel.

What do you mean "lag refresh"?  Each pixel suddenly has it's value set to
black.

I did install a new X server (ver 4.0) at the same time.  But the problem
also occurs in console mode with no X server running.