Re: How to get rid of LILO

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Samuel Hathaway wrote:
> >> laptop:).  Anyway I repartitioned and reformated the
> >> drive but when I
> >> try to boot from the hard disk it prints:
> >>
> >>     LI
> >>
> >> to the screen and then hangs.  I think this is
> >> residual from LILO, at
> >> least that's my best guess.
> >>
> >> I'm running PheonixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 .
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> Andy
> >
> > fdisk /mbr (undocumented feature of fdisk)
> > does the trick.
> >
> > Joop
>
> Just wondering, is there a linux way to do this?
> -samuel

Yes... but only if you still have linux intact...
Lilo saves a copy of your bootsector on first install.
this can be recovered with lilo -u or lilo -U

RTFM... it's all there (lilo(8))

Mark Janssen                     Unix Consultant @ SyConOS IT
E-mail: mark@markjanssen.homeip.net    GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
http: markjanssen.homeip.net and markjanssen.[com|net|org|nl]
Fax/VoiceMail: +31 20 8757555     Finger for GPG and GeekCode