Compiling a kernel...

I would like take the plunge and compile a kernel for my laptop - I have
unpacked the kernel source and have gotten as far as "make config". I
would like to use xconfig - would be a little more comfortable (I'm stretching
my limits now...), but make xconfig returns the following:

>dell:/usr/local/src/linux# make xconfig
>rm -f include/asm
>( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
>make -C scripts kconfig.tk
>make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/linux/scripts'
>cat header.tk >> ./kconfig.tk
>./tkparse < ../arch/i386/config.in >> kconfig.tk
>net/ax25/Config.in: 25: unable to open drivers/net/hamradio/Config.in
>make[1]: *** [kconfig.tk] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/linux/scripts'
>make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

There is no drivers/net/hamradio - wasn't there when I unpacked the kernel
source archive.

How can I fix this? If anyone would care to take a bit of time to help
me through this I would be extremely grateful!

Michael

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com