Linksys combo card modem is lower than my external modem

Hello all as mentioned before on this list I have a one of those nifty
Linksys EtherFast combo card without the dongles and such. The thing is
lately my connection to my ISP has sucked. I noticed that when I try to use
the modem on the card it always does the connection handshake twice and it
responds as (I did this under minicom using the ATDT command):

CONNECT 115200 V42bis

consequently connecting at a really crappy speed. My U.S Robotics external
modem connect as follows:

CONNECT 45333/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS

and gives me a much better connection. Does anyone know if I can get the
pcmcia modem to connect at a better speed? I realize that there are several
other factors such as line quality, protocol X2 or K56Flex or V.90, but I am
pretty sure that before this modem worked like a charm. BTW, my ISP is ExecPC
(voyager.net now) and I'd just like to say that their dialup access is really
starting to suck majorly so steer clear of them if your looking for a dialup
connection. Oh, well guess I'll have to use the school's T3 for now :) .

Dan
Daniel E. Baumann
E-mail: baumannd@msoe.edu (preferred)
        baumannd@users.sourceforge.net
        baumannd@penguinpowered.com
        baumannd@obfuscation.penguinpowered.com (caution: dynamic DNS)

Web location: 	http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd
                http://www.linuxfreak.com/~baumannd

"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."

      -- Dave Olson

"...that as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by an invention of ours, and this we
should do freely and generously..."

     -- Benjamin Franklin