Re: vlock from x11?

Russell Coker wrote:

> Why not use xdm?  It works for me.

Yeah, nothing seriously wrong with xdm -- I just think it's overkill.

> On my Thinkpad I have xdm (or more specifically kdm) running
> displays on vt5 and vt6 so if I am logged in I can lock the screen,
> change to the other vt, and let someone play with my machine.

Now that's serious overkill -- you always have two Xservers running,
wasting RAM when you're not using the second.  I created a little script
that searches through /tmp, finds the first unused DISPLAY, and starts
an Xserver there.  So I can quickly and easily run as many Xservers as I
want, for as many users as I want, but don't need to have any extras
running.

Still, your approach is the more, er, conventional one, and is probably
good enough for less hackish people.  :-)

> For when the X server dies I have the SAK enabled in the kernel.

Definitely a good plan.  :-)

Anyway, this is not very laptop-related any more (was it ever?) so I'm
going to drop the thread now.

cheers
--
Chris Waters, Systems Engineer, Critical Path, Inc.
phone: 1(415) 344-5518 or 1(415) 254-5913 (mobile)