Re: config dual pcmcia nics

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 07:34:39PM +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, G. L. Inabnit
> <griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us> wrote:
>
> > Well,
> >
> > 	I've had a merry night of wandering the HOWTO's, REAME's, and
> > 	just generally having a good time on google. :--) But I've yet
> > 	to discover how to configure my two pcmcia nics to be on
> > 	separate addresses. Could one of you fine people send me over
> > 	some example scripts, URL's, approprate man/HOWTO/docs, and I
> > 	could look at/into to get this squared away? I've setup dual
> > 	nic's on a number of machines, though this is my first attempt
> > 	at doing so via PCMCIA equipment.
>
> The comments at the top of '/etc/pcmcia/network.opts' don't make it
> clear? You can use sh(1) script globing to match on the various locating
> bits and pieces of the cards...
>
>         Daniel

Having a look I can see why he is getting lost.  As I build my own kernel
I also build the pcmcia-cs package by hand as well.  Therefore I have
read the PCMCIA-HOWTO that comes with that package.  It is more update
that the one I have in /usr/doc/HOWTO/en-txt.  I recommend that
griz pulls source package pcmcia-3.1.8 (which is the version I use) and
reads the PCMCIA_HOWTO in there.  I did my configuration from PCMCIA-HOWTO
v2.49, 22 Dec '99 not v2.46, 1 Dec '99.

The section that needs to be read is "4.3. PCMCIA network adapters".

To quote from the readme:
	The device address passed to network.opts consists of four comma-
	separated fields: the scheme, the socket number, the device instance,
	and the card's hardware ethernet address.  The device instance is used
	to number devices for cards that have several network interfaces, so
	it will usually be 0.  If you have several network cards used for
	different purposes, one option would be to configure the cards based
	on socket position, as in:

		case "$ADDRESS" in
		*,0,*,*)
			# definitions for network card in socket 0
			;;
		*,1,*,*)
			# definitions for network card in socket 1
			;;
		esac

I have managed to configure my laptop so that I configures any NIC PCMCIA
card depending upon the slot it is in.  Although I don't plug two cards in
at the same time.  I have also configured different schemes that make it
easy to change the configuration -- one for working in the base office, one
for working in one of our other sites, and one for USENIX (a DHCP setup).

Hope this helps

Steve

--
Steve Dobson                  E-mail:       sdobson@allstor-sw.com
Unix Architect                Tel (Direct): +44 1763 264441