Re: Linksys 56k + 10/100 PCMCIA card

I made a very similar request a few weeks ago, except I wanted a
10/100Mb + 56k card. The result was quite a few recommendations for
the Linksys EtherFast PCMCIA card. I've had the card for a couple of
weeks and it's worked flawlessly under Debian and WinNT. Under potato
I just plugged it in and it was running from then on (I had the
networking configured already).

I have not had occasion to try the modem part yet though, but that's
of less importance to me.

After several recommendations for this Linksys PCMLM56 56k + 10/100bT card, I figure it would be a good time to post a question on it, I use this card with Potato on an AST Ascentia P series P150 laptop, 32M RAM, 2gig HDD.

The networking works fine, but I can't get the modem to work. I know it does work, because a while ago, I had both network and modem working in RedHat 6.1. Then I upgraded to 6.2 shortly after it came out, and the modem stopped working- network still worked. After that I started to try a few other distros, to test the waters for one, and see if one of them could auto-detect the modem for two. I tried SuSE 6.3, Mandrake 7.0, Turbo 6.0, Storm 2K, and Slack 7.0. I really wanted to learn Debian. Storm was good, but for some reason version one had no PCMCIA support on the CD (strange) so for a laptop that was out of course. I tried Debian 2.1, but kernel 2.0.36 was a bit too old for me (plus the X Window stuff was too old also). Potato was not yet officially out and I had no way to get the unstable version.

Finally Potato went stable, and a friend burned the isos, so I put it on there. I like it a lot needless to say, but I am back to wanting to get the modem working, for when I go to a friend's house etc to have Net access.

If anyone can give pointers for getting the modem part working (while not sacrificing the networking obviously ;-) ) I would appreciate it.

LinuxKnight