hibernation mode does not work

[ Please CC any answers to me -- I am not subscribed to this list ]

Hello,

I could get the hibernation mode to work on my laptop here. I would be
really glad if somebody could help me. It is an IBM Thinkpad
i1400. Unfortunately IBM didn't change the version number for the
Thinkpad so there are some different notebooks all called Thinkpad
i1400. Mine is one of the first with a Celeron 300 CPU and 64 MB
RAM. This should be sufficient to identify it.

I have included an extract from my kernel configuration, lspci output,
etc. Using a DOS bootfloppy and a program that came with the laptop I
created a file where the RAM, etc is supposed to be written to when
the notebook suspends to disk. This file is on a FAT partition which
is 128MB large at the beginning of the hard-drive, just for this
purpose. When typing 'apm -s' the laptop only falls in suspend to RAM
mode, not suspend to disk. Using the key-combination (Fn-F12), the
screen switches off and directly after that (may be a second) if turn
on again.

Anyone a clue what I might have done wrong?

Roland

[ remember to CC me ]

roland@thinkpad:~% sudo /sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M1531 [Aladdin IV]
(rev b3)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M1533 PCI to ISA
Bridge [Aladdin IV] (rev 0a)
00:05.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. 6832 (rev 34)
00:05.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. 6832 (rev 34)
00:06.0 VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2160
[MagicGraph 128XD] (rev 01)
00:0b.0 IDE interface: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M5229 IDE (rev 20)
00:0c.0 Bridge: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M7101 PMU (rev 09)

.config
[...]
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_DISABLE_BY_DEFAULT is not set
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE is not set
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

--
Roland Bauerschmidt <rb@debian.org>