tracking a system upgrade.....

Hans,

I can understand your frustration with the situation of setting up your
modem. Being a new user of Linux myself (3 months), I have faced several of
these problems. The documentation isn't all that great, and usually not
up-to-date (some still talk about the conf.modules file, instead of the
modules.conf file). The other day I saw a friend upgrade his system from
slink to potato. He has been using the potato kernel for a while now, but
the rest of his system had fallen behind. It took him 5 hours to do the
upgrade over an ethernet connection. He spent most of his time figuring out
the dependency problems and rooting out obsoleted files that resulted from
the system upgrade.

I know that the file organization of slink and potato are different
(conf.modules Vs. modules.conf being one example). By organization I mean
both the name of the files and their locations. The difference isn't
appalling, but it isn't trivial either. However, I didn't see any package
that would resolve these differences. I am sure my friend has lots of
unwanted files lying around. I haven't been following the development of
woody, but I am hoping that the basic file organization is different from
potato only in terms of new files that have been added, and the files used
in potato have not been renamed or moved in woody.

Does anybody know of a way to compare one's system with a freshly installed
system running the same release. For e.g., is it possible to compare the
file organization on a system that has recently had a massive upgrade from
previous release (like slink) to a current release (potato) with the file
organization on another system that has a freshly installed current release
(potato). In short, what's the difference between SLINK --> POTATO and
freshly installed POTATO.

Thank you,
Andy Saxena