Re: Device manager lies? Do I have a winmodem?

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, m.nine.six wrote:
>you mean the linux driver? linux568.zip ????
>if you mean this driver you should have a lot of problems. the first is
>that this module is bad coded. checkout http://puma.uio.no/toshiba-40xx/
>then the module is compiled for 2.2.12-20 and will not work for kernels
>greater then 2.2.14 until you still use the ppp module from 2.2.14. also
>until you put the slhc module manualy into the kernel the kernel won't
>accept the ppp module. then (on my system) if you power-on the box with
>battery power and want to use ltmodem the box will hang until you
>disable the "PCI Power Management" in BIOS.
>
>so you can see i had a lot of trouble with it. but now it works.
>
>also checkout http://www.encypher.net/linux/thinkpad570.html
>he will post more details in a few days if not you can mail him.

I have that driver, but I heard it was set up for Redhat distros. I also
have ltmodem-0.9.8-1.tar. The advice I got from someone else on this list
was that it is a loadable module and works fine. I have actually never
tried it since I use a pcmcia card for an ISDN router.

Jack Morgan				Debian GNU/Linux Enthusiast
yojack@mandinka.org			http://www.mandinka.org