Re: Sound on Thinkpad 390X

> just as a quick and dirty suggestion: have you tried alsa? it solved a lot

> i guess that the 390 uses ess solo as well but even if it is another chip
> - with this you'd be trying a different driver.

Yes.  What I did was compile the kernel, alsa, and pcmcia packages using
make-kpkg and the source packages.  I have found with the 390E that this
is flawless.  You compile the packages, install them, and then use
alsaconf to configure it for the sound card.  On the 390E, this has worked
everytime.  On the 390X, Alsa found the sound card, configured itself, but
things didn't work as well, obviously.  So, I suppose it is possible that
/etc/modutils/alsa might be incorrect, don't know for sure.  Below is
what I have in that file.  If anyone thinks this is wrong for the
390X, I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
Bryan

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.4.2 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-es1938
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm1-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm1-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660
snd_device_gid=
29 snd_device_uid=0
options snd-card-es1938 snd_index=1 snd_id=CARD_1
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---