Burning CD-Rs with my Laptop?

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to burn CD-Roms with my Laptop.
(Gericom OverdoseII, 366 Celeron, 64 Mb, 2x pcmcia, 2x usb)
It shouldn't be too expensive and should work in real life, not
just in theory. (And of course with linux)

Here are some considerations. Maybe you can correct me, or
tell me what works ok for you, or give some recommendations.

external ide-writer connected to parallel-port
  too slow, too unreliable during burning, system
  almost stops during parport data-transfers (at
  least thats my experience with a external parport
  2.5" Hard-Drive), can only burn at 4x speed

external writer connected to usb port
  a bit more reliable, but till too slow,
  same 4x speed limit, problems with
  usb kernel support

external scsi-writer connected to scsi pcmcia-card
  2 words: too expensive

external ide-writer connected to ide-pcmcia-card
  inexpensive, no speed limit, the external case
  can also be used for eide harddisks

So currently the last one is  my favorite solution.
But:
Does this work? Has anyone done that? And where
do you get these ide-pcmcia-cards?

thanx
 ron

-----