Re: potato/kernel 2.2.17 upgrade problems

"Neil L. Roeth" wrote:

> I upgraded my Sony Vaio 505VE from slink to potato, and then upgraded
> the kernel from 2.0.38 to 2.2.17.  Using potato with 2.0.38 is no
> problem, but with 2.2.17 there are a couple of problems, perhaps
> related.
>
> syslog gives me an error at bootup.  I can reproduce the error by
> executing /etc/init.d/sysklogd restart later.  The error is:
> syslogd: cannot create /dev/log: Invalid argument

I'm not sure about this one.

> X problem - the server does not start - I eventually kill it with
> Ctl-Alt-Backspace and see the following:
>
> _X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
> _X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
> _X11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/vaio:0

I had this error recently when using XF86Setup to config a new Pototato
installation using 2.1r4 CDs and then using apt to upgrade to potato.  I think
the XF86Config file has changed format since 2.1 so you might want to check
that.  Did you use XF86Setup ?  If so, you might want to try xf86config instead.
This is what I intend to do next.
I was able to get rid of the above problem with XF86Setup but X wasn't able to
find a valid Mode when doing "X -probeonly".  I don't know why but I am going to
try xf86config.

> The reason I think they might be related is that both are problems
> opening sockets.  Has anyone seen one or both of these problems?  I
> can provide more detail if necessary.  TIA.

I have potato successfully running on a TwinHead 166MHz laptop using kernel
2.2.14.  I will try upgrading to 2.2.17 and see what happens.

Brendan Simon.