Re: Problem of installation: first boot [tobshiba 4000cdt]

To install Debian on my Satellite Pro 4260 I downloaded the files to
boot the install from dos.  That works, but I can't boot from a kernel
that I have compiled.

The files you need to start an install from dos are:
install.bat, base2_2.tgz, drivers.tgz, linux, and loadlin.exe

The version of these that I used is disks-2.2.17, although that version
doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Here is what is available:
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/disks-i386/2.2.16-2000-07-14/

Hope that helps,