Error in PCMCIA script?

OK.. with much trial and error, I think I got my PC to
detect my PCMCIA modem.. it "beeps" anyway when I
insert and remove the modem, which is more than the
"device busy" I got before. However, now as soon as it
first detects the modem, it gives me the following:
Usage: /sbin/getty [-hiLmw] [-l login_program] [-t
timeout] [-I initstring] baud_rate,... line [termtype]

(repeat about 50 times)
INIT: Id "S" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
minutes

-Whereupon I can break out, and it comes back again in
5 minutes. Any idea where this could be coming from
and how I can get rid of it?

(Side note - I noticed during boot that there was an
error message about inittab having a duplicate S:
line. I removed the duplicate line, but it did not fix
the problem.)