Re: Help required: pcmcia-source/kernel-source-2.2.17 problem?

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Etienne M. Gagnon wrote:

> Alexander Clouter wrote:
> > you don't say what type of laptop you have.
>
> I have a Compaq Presario 1060, with a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 (PCMCIA)
> Ethernet card.
>
> > Some laptops don't use 100% Cardbus compatible protocols, so this hangs
> > the machine.  Recompile your pcmcia drivers with 32bit cardbus turned
> > off.  Hopefully this will solve your problems.
>
> How do I turn this off?  (This may be a dumb question, but I don't
> remember seeing anything about Cardbus in "make xconfig"...)

instead of using the kernal-source and pcmcia-source debian packages I
would instead highly recommend downloading the *pure* source versions from
the internet.

Get the latest kernel source from ftp://ftp.kernel.org (or a nearby
mirror) and the pcmcia source from
ftp://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/pub/pcmcia-cs.

Unpackage the sources, the kernel in /usr/src/linux and the pcmcia drivers
in /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-??? (or something similar, however the name is
quite irrelevent).  Compile yourself the kernel.

Instead of using xconfig I would recommend using 'make menuconfig' as it
just feels much nicer ;)  However if you prefer xconfig do use it.  Then
after you have installed the new kernel go to /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-??? and
type 'make config'.  Choose the options you need and turn off 32bit
(cardbus) support.  After it has been configured type 'make
install'.  This will finish off all pcmcia driver stuff and you should be
ready to roll ;)

do a reboot and everything should work

good luck

Alex