Re: Laptop email

Cory Snavely <csnavely@umich.edu> writes:

> This is the *exact* same problem I have. One possible solution I've been
> kicking around is to set up a low-end server at home with imapd and
> Apache with mod_roaming (for the address books, etc.)
>
> That's a lot of work. To confess, though, I thought it might be fun 8)
> and good practice.
>
> My biggest complaint, though, is that the potato Netscape doesn't seem
> to have the same "offline reading" capability as the Windows 98 one.
> Does anybody know about that (why that feature doesn't seem present)?

You just have to use it ;)

I have exim to send mail from and fetchmail to download mail to my
potato box. Add shell scripts to /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ that send and receive
mail automatically as soon as you go online.

Set (Netscape) "Preferences | Incoming Mail Servers" 's "Server Type"
to "Movemail". I had to use "External MoveMail"
'/usr/lib/xemacs-21.1.10/powerpc-debian-linux/movemail' from
xemacs21-nomule's bin package because the "Builtin MoveMail" didn't
work. Set the "User Name" to the login name on your own box (your
$USER). BTW I have unchecked any other button there. As soon as the
scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ have finished, you can go offline. Use
Messenger's "Get Msg" btn to actually get the mail into Netscape.

Set the "Outgoing (SMTP) Server" to 'localhost', the "User Name" to
your login name on your own box again. If you want to send mail,
always use the "Send" btn (not "Send later"). This will add the
msg to the exim queue.

Andre