Re: Emacs questions

  Hello,

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Jeffrey Knight wrote:

> Quick emacs questions:
> does syntax hightlighting work in emacs
> (*not* xemacs) -- font-lock doesn't seem
> to give me any pretty colors outside of X,
> and I can't for the life of me find anything
> in the documentation.

  I take the following, taken from the emacs faq (
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text ), as a bad omen :

34:  How can I highlight a region of text in Emacs?

  If you are using a windowing system such as X, you can cause the region
  to be highlighted when the mark is active by including

        (transient-mark-mode t)

  Nothing is said about non-X. Also, in the emacs-lisp manual,
http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-lisp-intro/html_chapter/emacs-lisp-intro_17.html,

X11 Colors

You can specify colors when you use Emacs version 19 with the MIT X Windowing system. (All the previous examples should work with both Emacs version 18 and
Emacs version 19; this works only with Emacs version 19.)

  Again, nothing is said about non-X. So don't stake your life
on colors on the console ...

  Hth,

  Etienne