Re: Debian GNU/linux on Toshiba laptops

    Christian> On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 05:58:02AM -0400, Torgeir
    Christian> Hoffmann wrote:

    >> I am not very familiar with Debian on laptops, but I have
    >> planned to buy a Toshiba 2180. Do anyone know what problems I
    >> will face ? Is this laptop a good choice ? Where can I find a
    >> configuration ? (or can I make one myself ?) And at last what
    >> packages is recommended ?

    Christian> Debian 2.1 wasn't a good choice for my Toshiba
    Christian> Satellite 21??.  The Kernel on the bootable CD-ROM does
    Christian> not like my Toshiba NB, it hangs. Maybe 2.2 isn't
    Christian> affected, i didn't try.

I have a Toshiba 2650XDVD.  It runs Debian 2.2 (potato).  I originally
installed Debian 2.1 (slink) and upgraded from there.

The only fatal problem I had with Debian 2.1 was with the PCMCIA
stuff.  It hung.  With Debian 2.2, a 2.2.14 (now 2.2.15) kernel and
the latest PCMCIA stuff I've had no real problems.  However, be
careful of stopping PCMCIA services during the upgrade.  This can hang
the machine.

The only other problems I've had are:

* WinModem.  This is a Lucent one, with a binary only driver available
  from http://linmodems.org/.  It is compiled against a Red Hat 2.2.12
  kernel.  I can force load it but it oopses upon disconnect.  Not
  happy!  PCMCIA modem suggested...

* APM.  The Linux APM stuff is getting no messages (such as suspend)
  from the BIOS.  I've tried using the Toshiba Linux Utilities
  (http://www.buzzard.org.uk/toshiba/) to set things up, but I've had
  no success, since they don't seem to be able to talk to my
  machine...

I haven't tried using DVDs in the DVD drive yet...  :-)

peace & happiness,
martin

--
Martin Schwenke,  Regional Support Services,  Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990