Re: Help. pcmica doesn't work any longer.

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Jens K. Olsen wrote:

> Please help.
> I just updated my frozen on my laptop.
> After updating, I am not able to use pcmcia any longer. The pcmcia-core
> module is not being loaded automatically on startup any longer. When I
> try to load it using modconf, I get the following messages:

Upgrading a laptop causes problems the moment the pcmcia-cs package is
installed.  This is because some modules are installed that have been made
especially for your kernel build.

To fix the problem you install the debian pcmcia scripts (done by
installing the pcmcia-cs package) and then remove the pcmcia-cs package
but leaving all the scripts behind.  This prevents you losing you pcmcia
usage when apt-get in its infinite wisdom updates the pcmcia-cs drivers
then then giving you the problem you are experiencing.  The best thing to
do is manually maintain the pcmcia-cs package yourself.  My instructions
should help you (I written them down as if you are logged on as rootm
there is a normal user way to do this but its compilicated for a first
timer (I'm assuming you are one)).

Download the kernel source (from ftp.kernel.org) and the pcmcia driver
source (from sourceforge.org/pub/Linux/kernel/pcmcia).  Make sure you have
BOTH.  remove the pcmcia-cs package with:

"dpkg -r pcmcia-cs"

decompress your linux kernel source to /usr/src/linux and within that
folder type

"make menuconfig"

select everything you need and exit the program.  now type (this will take
some time)

"mv /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15 /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15o" <- NOTE
"rm /lib/modules/2.2.15 -rf"
"make dep"
"make bzImage"
"make modules"
"make modules_install"
"cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15"

The NOTE is for backup reasons and is only to be done this time and never
again.  Currently your kernel will at least allow you to boot into your
machine so we keep a backup so if the new kernel you make has an option
selected that crashes your laptop on bootup you can revert to the old one
(by holding down <Shift>-<Alt> on boot up LILO will give you a prompt
where you can type 'olinux' to boot your backup kernel) and then be able
to recompile kernels etc to fix the problem.

now edit you /etc/lilo.conf file to say something like making sure the
boot, root and other variables say what they did in your current version
of /etc/lilo.conf (if you want your DOS partition to boot as the default
one move all the information for 'other' to above the first 'image'
column):

-----------

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda5
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=ask
delay=0

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15
        label = linux
        read-only

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15o
        label = olinux
        read-only

other = /dev/hda2
        label = dos
        table = /dev/hda
        loader = /boot/chain.b

-----------

type "liloconfig" and say "y" to altering your boot sectors, etc.

Now to compile your pcmcia drivers.  extract all your pcmcia source code
to /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.1.14 (or a similar version number) and inside it
run

"make config"

select the options you need, usually in this order:

"/usr/src/linux"
""
"n"
"y"
"y"
"/lib/modules/2.2.15"

now type

"make install"

After some time the modules should be all installed and you will be given
a command prompt again.  Cross your fingers and reboot.

When you reboot you will see a menu you haven't seen before (for now
select the standard vga mode (0 I think)).  With this you should
experiment (later though) to find a nice text mode you prefer to work
with.  Some won't display anything (so wait for you laptop to stop
grinding its harddisk and then press <Crtl>-<Alt>-<Delete>), some will
crash the laptop, others will look bad and one will look perfect
especially on screen expansion.  Remember this number and after you are
happy with your kernel and pcmcia drivers edit the 'vga' bit in
/etc/lilo.conf from 'ask' to the number you want.  type 'liloconfig' and
this prevents the menu from appearing and gives you the mode you want.

If your kernel crashes then load the backup one (which should work, if not
use a linux boot disk or cd to get in to make a new kernel) and recompile
with options to fix your kernel.  If everything seems okay (your pcmcia
drivers should be fine) give yourself a pat on the back.

now backup this kernel by typing

"cp /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15 /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15o"
"liloconfig"

I have tried to be clear on these instructions however I'm sure that you
will run into problems and so I'm here to help (just mail me and I'll see
what I can do) however there are also lots of people here on the debian
laptop list that I'm sure could help.

Although these instructions seem long after the first three times you will
be running off kernels and pcmcia drivers blindfolded.

Good Luck

Alex

--
**       ((__))  Alexander "Jim diGriz" "Hubenko" Clouter