Re: deb: XFree86 v4.0 on PowerBook/PowerMac.

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Brendan J Simon wrote:

> Has anyone got XFree86 version 4.0 working on the new PowerBook or on a
> G4 system.  If so, what kernels did you use and could you post an
> XF86Config file.
> I can get an X cursor on the G4, but the screen is bright green.  I
> can't get any xdm login screens or window managers running.  I'm not
> sure if there are conflicts between version 3 and version 4
> libraries/binaries.
>
> I have even download the XFree86 source and compiled it.  I can't get it
> to work on the PowerBook at all.  I keep getting "ATI unknown chipset
> (0x4c46) rev 2" error messages.  This is part of the libscanpci.a module
> so I assume its a PCI ID that is unknown but I am not sure.
>
> Can any one help.  Maybe the G4 and new PowerBook aren't supported yet ?

Although I have installed X 4.0 on my Intel laptop I did come across some
utilities (I think at ftp.xfree86.org) to convert previous versions of
xf86config files to the new x 4.0 version.  If you can't find ask me and
I'll see if I can remember where it is.

BTW I now have X 4.0 working on my laptop, I decided to use the
pre-compiled binaries (bit miffed as I would like to compile them by hand
with -O2 -DCPU=686 and remove the stuff I don't need) however I can't
suspend my laptop without the screen on the graphics console
mangling; even if I suspend from a text console!  Once my laptop, with its
Trident Cyber 9397, resumes the the laptop works fine but the x screen is
still intact but with the upper quarter mangled with vertical lines.  X
works fine after rebooting it though.  Any ideas would be nice

Alex

--
**       ((__))  Alexander "Jim diGriz" "Hubenko" Clouter