Re: HD spindown and fs cache writeback

>I would like my HD to spin down and stay down for some time, if the
>buffers in RAM are big enough. Therefore, I think I have to tell the
>kernel not to write out the fs cache as often. Where can I do that?

I was wondering about this too, as I used to use a handy replacement
for the `update' daemon, called `mobile-update' (at
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/ulrich/mobile-update/ )
but this no longer works now that the bdflush daemon has vanished,
or the kernel interface has changed or some such.

Any ideas?  I would love to get this working again with a 2.2.15 or
2.3.x/2.4.x kernel, as it made a fair difference to the battery life
and a large difference to the noise generated on some machines...

	Dave