Re: framebuffer (was As86?)

> Hi,
>
> Heather <star@betelgeuse.starshine.org> writes:
>
> > ob laptop:  framebuffer is driving me nuts.  What should be so different
> > about framebuffer support under Debian (potato/woody mix) and RH 6.1, that
> > the latter "just works" for framebuffer X, but Debian complains?  (the
> > framebuffer does work for console though)
>
> You're using framebuffer X?  Why?  There's no acceleration in the
> kernel framebuffer devices.  You will almost certainly be faster using
> the correct Xserver.  In fact, the console will be significantly faster
> if you don't use the framebuffer device.

As an experiment of course.  What's the fun in things if you can't understand
them?  Also, if a video chipset is accelerated but imperfect in other ways
on a brand new server, or merely "slow" on framebuffer, I'll take stability,
thanks.

When dealing with a completely new critter, the first one that works will
win.  And since I hang out at installfests occasionally, I'd rather be able
to slap in framebuffer and then say that better exists, than send someone
away with no X usable at all.  Near the end of the run time may matter more
than whether it plays Quake adequately.

-* Heather * star@starshine.org *-