RE: Laptop Screen Size Problems (cont...)

> hi
>
> I've installed xfree ver 3.3.6-6, still having problems though. Have
> included the output from running 'startx' (thorough "startx &> startxout").
>
> Would be grateful for any assistance ...
>
> XFree86 Version 3.3.6 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6300)
> Release Date: January 8 2000
<snip>
> (--) SVGA: PCI: S3 Unknown chipset (0x8c12) rev 17, Memory @ 0xf0000000
> (--) SVGA: Unknown S3 chipset: chip_id = 0x8c12 rev. 11
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  <--- seems like you have a problem
here...

> (--) SVGA: chipset:  generic
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  <--- this is the server's solution to the
previous problem

> (**) SVGA: clocks:  25.18
> (**) SVGA: Using 8 bpp, Depth 8, Color weight: 666
> (--) SVGA: Using builtin driver modes
> (--) SVGA: Builtin Mode: 320x200
> (--) SVGA: Virtual resolution set to 320x204
And these lines are the consequences of the server's solution.

> My manual puts sync rates @: Hrz (48.3, 60.0, 68.7) & Vrz (60, 75) ... I'm
> only getting a 640x480 res (which sits in a small centred section of the
> laptop's screen).
Once you'll get XFree86 to recognize your chipset, you won't need
(presumably) to worry about these.

I suggest you to try XF86_S3V, as it *might* have more support for your
card than XF86_SVGA. If it has not, then your only solution is to boot
with framebuffer graphics (if your card is VESA 2.0 compliant), and use
the XF86_FBDev server. While this leads to unaccelerated graphics, there
is a Linux HOWTO which explains how to do it, AFAIK.

Anyway, you should drop a mail to the XFree86 developers and mail them
this log file, explaining them what graphics hardware you have, and wait
for their reply, perhaps they will tell you that it's not a problem and
you just have to add whatever configuration line in whatever file I do not
know of, either.

Goog luck though,
raph