Re: wdm problem

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 08:15:10PM -0400, gbh@middlemarch.net wrote:
> I'm having a problem logging in using wdm.
> I installed Debian 2.1 on my machine, after
> getting it up and running I installed wdm
> along with many other packages, then rebooted
> the computer. It now goes straight into the
> wdm login display, however the login box
> won't accept any input from the keyboard.
> The mouse works, all the buttons on the wdm
> login display work, but nothing happens
> when I try to type something into the login
> box. When I click the [Go] box I get an
> 'Invalid name' error. What changes need to
> be made to get this to work?
>
> Also, I boot from a floppy. What command at
> the boot prompt would I need to enter in order
> to get the computer to boot without going into wdm?

I've never used wdm itself, only a couple of similar programs.
I'd say that either you have to click on the username entry field (so that
the cursor appears there) and _then_ try to type the username, or that wdm
(or your X keyboard support) is really broken for some reason.
You may try to press [CTRL] + [Alt] + [F1] when in wdm to get to the first
VT (text mode).
If neither of the above helps, you may need to boot into some special mode
and somehow disable wdm. I suggest adding "single" after name of the kernel,
like:

boot: linux single

The system then will ask for root login without starting X (and any other
services) - this is called "single user mode"

hope this helps
good luck

Marcin

--