Re: [Fwd: usb floppy drive/anything]

-- From:  pplaw <pplaw@pcisys.net>
> Date:  Wed, 03 May 2000 10:12:48 -0700
> To:  "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject:  usb floppy drive/anything
> debs,
>
> i just got a sony picturebook (pcg-c1xs) yesterday.
> i did a smooth, harddrive  install. (thanks project!)
>
> having a usb floppy drive, i want to make a boot floppy, but the
> box doesn't recognize /dev/fd0.
> eg. "$  mount /dev/fd0 /bt <bentley taylor>"
>       " mount:  the kernel does not recognize /dev/fd0 as a block
> device."
>
> i'm a virgin at the recompile.  but am i looking at that for usb
> support?  installing potato? ...woody?

Pristine 2.2.14 source from kernel.org + the -new- USB backport
	(http://www.suse.cz/development/usb-backport) ... pre6!  woohoo!
+ (optional but it works!) alan cox' 15 pre patches:
	go into kernel.org's people area
		alan
		15pre (I forget the directory name but it's obvious)
		both the pre-patch-15pre19 and the pre-patch-15pre19to20

They apply without a problem (check the filenames but here's the method):
	cd /usr/src
	tar xzvf 2.2.14.tgz
	cd linux
	zcat ../pre-patch-15pre19.diff.gz | patch -p1
	zcat ../pre-patch-15pre19to20.diff.gz | patch -p1

Then you can compile your kernel as long as you have the usual build tools
(gcc, flex and bison, there might be others but these should do):
	make distclean    <-- get rid of Linus' and Alan's cruft
	make menuconfig   <-- beautiful curses selection dialogs.

A brief pause while you invade "Makefile" with a text editor.  "pre20" is
a good enough EXTRAVERSION but you'll want to change the SUBLEVEL to 15u.
This will remind you it has USB support -and- take it out of the normal
sequence of kernel versions your debian kit wants to automatically squish
at the same time.  Definitely worth a moment to do.

	make dep
	make modules
	make install
	make modules_install

Being as we're all laptops here you will definitely want to also get the
pcmcia-source package and compile that too. If you don't then your floppy
may be happy but your card services won't :( :( :(

In theory if you're going to compile your own kernel this way you should
get (asymptotically approaching 2.4) 2.3.99-preN where N is whatever is
up right now?  Maybe.  But I found that pre6 hates my perfectly normal
builtin floppy bay, and several things on Alan Cox' job list are laptop
related.  I can wait.  I just hope the laptop problems in the "non
showstopper" list manage to get nailed anyway before it rolls.

> ia, t.
> bentley taylor.

y' w, oc.

Heather Stern  . | .  starshine.org * Starshine (personal account)
  star at:   --->*<---    lasfs.org * Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society
               ' | `    tuxtops.com * Laptops with Linux!