RE: Where to put insmod & other networking issues.

Hi Henry,

On 02-May-2000 Henry Kleynhans wrote:
> I've got an Acer Travelmate 512DX with a dog of a winmodem.
I have a 512T - so I guess it's (nearly) the same.

> I'm running Debian 2.2 (frozen) and currently use a Accton 2212 pcmcia
> network card. I got the drivers for the winmodem from lucent,
> but not having any experience at all with modems under linux
> I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to set up the whole thing to get it all
> automated.
>

> Firstly, can someone please tell me where to put the
> insmod -f yadiyadi.o statement so that it gets loaded at
> boot time.
You can add it to /etc/modules. The problem is, that it won't get loaded
automatically if there is a kernel version mismatch - that's why you have to
use 'insmod -f'.
The module is for a kernel 2.2.12-20, IIRC. The trick is to use a hex-editor
(like ghex) and edit the appropriate section in the binary file. WARNING! If
you don't know how to do this, it can be a bit tricky and you can damage the
module. Make a copy of the module first, change the number from 2.2.12-20 to
whatever your number is, save and try to insert with 'insmod ltmodem.o'.
If this scares you off, ask your local Linux-Guru or alternatively I can send
you a patched module.

> Also, how can I set my machine up to boot for two different
> networking environments, i.e to boot up with my modem drivers
> for home, and my network drivers for work as well as having
> different IP addresses.  Say for instance I want to use a dynamic
> IP for my modem and a static for work...
Look at the package 'netenv' - it does the trick.

Hth,
        Tobias
Tobias Bachmor <tobias@bachmor.de>
Date: 02-May-2000   Time: 13:30:42