Re: External monitor in X

On 10 Apr 2000, John Stevenson wrote:
> Hello,
> I had a 3200 Inspiron which used the Neomaigc server (from non-free), the
> XF86Config file of which had two directives, 'Internal' and 'External'.  The
> 'External' directive was commented out and X would not run on an external
> monitor (or in this case projector).  I simply uncommented the directive (which
> I beleve was in the monitor section of the file).  Everything worked then.
>
> The command line worked fine before I made any changes.
>
> I am now using a Dell Lattitude + SVGA server and that gets 1400x1050 with out
> any problems, although I had to lie about the exact card I had in my laptop.  I
> used the ATI Rage 128 (generic) instead of the actuall ATI Mobility that is in
> my laptop, but it works just fine.  I dont need any directives using the
> Lattitude laptop.
>
> Hope this helps...
> Johnny
>

> Kari Ruohonen wrote:
>
> > I have Dell Inspiron 7500 +SXGA (1400x1050) with potato installed. The LCD
> > is working just fine but can anybody point me to a source of information
> > or give some advice how I can configure external monitor to work under X
> > (3.3.6).
> > In console it works OK.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kari
> >
> > --

I have a Toshiba Satellite 4000CDT which works fine with an external
moniitor. I don't do anything special in the software; I use fn + F5 to
switch from internal to external or both at once.

The only trouble with the ext monitor I was using previously was that
the display was smaller than the screen (in fact, exactly the same size
as the inbuilt laptop display. I'm now using a different monitor where
this doesn't happen.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"To be forced by desire into any unwarrantable belief is a calamity."
I.A. Richards