Re: mp3 use - laptop purchase

On Apr 05, Seth Golub wrote:
> On a related note, does anyone know how I could use an extra IDE drive
> with my laptop?  I know I could get a SCSI PCMCIA card, an enclosure,
> and a drive, but big SCSI drives (~25GB) are expensive.  Is there a
> way to hook up to an IDE drive outside the case?  I'd rather not get
> an entire desktop machine just to use it as a fileserver.

I know there are such things as PCMCIA IDE adapters (or at least the
specs for them, since CompactFlash cards act like PCMCIA IDE devices
when you put them in the $10 CF-PCMCIA adapter).  I don't know how
well they work, though.  I'd imagine a lot of the "external
CD-ROM/DVD" devices for laptops are IDE-based, though.

Chris
|         Chris Lawrence        |            Visit my home page!            |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>   |      http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/      |
|    Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |    Are you tired of politics as usual?    |
|   University of Mississippi   |             http://www.lp.org/            |