USB CDROM and Laptop

I have a USB Sony Spressa x2 CD-RW (which is an ATAPI drive with a USB
adapter).  I just installed 2.3.99pre1, and after following the directions
in the Linux USB Guide, was able to get it to work without much difficulty.
However, I have found a problem. To get the drive to work correctly, I need
to have it plugged in before I load the usb-storage module (which needs the
usb-uhci module installed before it is installed) and BEFORE scsi_mod and
sr_mod are loaded.  If it isn't done this way, the drive doesn't get
recognized, and the system may or may not hang.  Since this is in a laptop
system, this drive is usually not hooked up, and I need a way to make it
pluggable-unpluggable on the fly.  I figured I could write some scripts to
check that the scsi modules were unloaded when I do a mount, and run
modprobe in the correct order, but this seemed like a hack.  Is there a good
way to get around this?  I have found that sometimes I can't unload the scsi
modules (without hanging the system), so this doesn't seem like the most
reliable of solutions.

And a second question:  How can I figure out what device the cdrom got
mounted as?  when I look at /proc/scsi/scsi it shows up as scsi0: something
or other, and if I run cdrecord -scanbus, it shows up in the 0,0,0 slot.
But I didn't know how to interpret this, and just tried mounting /dev/s*
until I found it (it ended up being at /dev/scd0)

.Geoff