Firewalls

This isn't really a laptop problem, but i don't subsribe to all the lists.

I am running debian somewhere between unstable and frozen on a
palmax pd-1100, and everything is working perfectly.

However, when at work i sit behind a socks5 based proxy firewall,
which kind of screws things up.

Does anybody have experience of this ?

I have just started playing with dante-client, which is supposed to
allow you to 'socksify' applications, and it worked to a point with ftp
in that i managed to connect to an external site, but got errors
when i actually tried to ls or get, (cd worked fine).

Now, it could be my setup is wrong for dante-client (not much
docs), so has any body succesfully used dante-client ?

I can send my config file if anybody can help,

But my ultimate reason for doing this is that i want to be able to
use apt-get from behind this firewall....so i need to socksify apt-get,
has anybody done this ?

TIA

--
Nigel Sale