Re: Help! How not to start X ?

> thank you all soooo much for the respose.
>
> I have Debian Package installed on my Compaq Armada 1110 P75 good
> old notebook.
>
> I even got my mouse work by recreating a symlink mouse to psaus. Since
> the bad X keeps "flashing back" every other second or so, and renaming
> S99xdm rc?.d failed to work, I removed xdm from dselect.
>
> But now, my screen keeps flashing blank every other 5 minutes and at the
> end of each interval, I got the message:
> INIT: id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

This is describing an inittab entry.  Doesn't matter if this is abnormal,
but you have an inittab entry named "x" and it is respawning, well, something
that is probably supposed to be an xdm-like beastie.

Doing it both ways - launching the app as a daemon, or as an init respawned
task - geesh, you'd have a headache even if X was behaving itself.

I bet it's near the bottom of /etc/inittab.  just delete the darn line, then
telinit q.  It will keep having a fit until you make init re-read the file.

> it is really annoying. where is this x-respawning initiated? I want to
> stop it.
>
> thank you
> Ben

Best of luck.