Re: Which version of Debian should I use?

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Bernhard Heger wrote:

> I've been reading this mailing list for a short time now, but from what
> I've read so far, Debian 2.2 is not yet elaborate enough for installing
> it on a laptop with a PCMCIA card.

I'm running Potato on my laptop from the moment I had my laptop (or more
accurate, when I've found a working HD for it..), 6 months ago. Installed
from Slink and then kept regulary updating it with the latest Potato.
I don't think it's less stable than Slink, but it is much more up-to-date
and has lots of new packages to chooce from.

> I have a cheapo 10mb/Ethernet card that is ne2000-compatible in my old
> IBM Thinkpad 750P (486/33). At the moment I'm running Debian 2.1r4
> without any problems, but my desktop PC is a SuSE 6.3. I want both
> systems to run the same distribution, but unfortunately XFree 3.3.2 that
> comes with Debian 2.1r4 doesn't support my PC's graphic card.
>
> Can I get Debian 2.2 to run without any problems or should I wait for
> the final release?

It's almost final :)

> I've been using Debian 2.1r4 for about 2 weeks now and I still haven't
> found out how to 'configure' packages that are already installed. I
> know, that several packages include a *conf programme (pppconf, etc.)
> but not all of them. I had to --purge and -i apsfilter several times
> before I could get my printer to work, since I couldn't find any setup
> utility that I could invoke after installation.

Well, currently most packages are including debconf support in Potato, and
that will solve your problem :)
If you want to reconfigure a package that has no reconfigure script, look
at the /var/lib/dpkg/info/packagename.postinst script, maybe that will
give you a clue how it's configured at install time.

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan