dhcp, ppp and default route

Hello,

I have a minor problem getting dialup networking working the way I want. I
have the following setup:
- Dell Lattitude CP
- Xircom CEM33 pcmcia card (ethernet+modem combo)
- kernel 2.2.14 (my own build)
- pcmcia 3.1.8-5 (my own build)
- dhcp-client_2.0-3
The problem is this: If I work offline (e.g. at a client's site) I want the
pppd to set a default route across the ppp link, but when no dhcp server was
found during startup, a default route is added to the routing table and pppd
does not add the default route if there is an existing one.

So the question is: how do I make it work? Can I specify an option so the
default route is not added? or can I disable the eth0 interface if no DHCP
server was found? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Ben.