Re: Upgrading pcmcia modules with self-built kernel

> Hello,
>
> Everytime I do an apt-get dist-upgrade, Debian tries to upgrade
> pcmcia-modules-2.2.x, unless I put it on hold. I don't want to upgrade
> pcmcia-modules, because it needs to match a specific build of the kernel.
>
> The package kernel-package suggests to set the Debian version to a very
> high value when building the kernel-image packages yourself. This won't
> work for the pcmcia-modules package, because there also the upstream
> package version changes.
>
> Isn't it possible to solve this problem by having two versions of
> pcmcia-modules-2.2.x, a -generic one, and a -custom one. Both provide
> pcmcia-modules-2.2.x. kernel-image-2.2.x should then be provided by
> two packages, a -generic one and a -custom one. This gives:

[package/depends list snipped]

> The packages kernel-source-2.2.x and pcmcia-source should build the
> -custom packages. I don't know if that's possible to combine with the
> maintainers using those packages to build the -generic packages.
>
> Do you think this is a sollution for this problem, or is it solvable in
> another way ?
>
> --
> Tot ziens,
> Bart-Jan

When making your kernel from source, first you get your options settled in
(make menuconfig or xconfig), but before running make, adjust the Makefile
that results, there is an extra variable.  I used this on my laptop to
create an x.y.z-HGS version, so that's where my personally compiled modules
went too.

In my case it was overkill (I was cooking a 2.3.x kernel anyway) but this
is the same way that Mandrake sneaks in mdk to their kernel name, and how
RedHat puts an additional number on the end.  I also tweaked lilo.conf so
it's willing to boot off either the "normal" sequence, or my kernel,
and defaulting to mine which isn't going to change out from under it as
often.

I think the extra variable is EXTRAVERSION but I'm not sure; I'm sitting in
front of a different system at the moment.

* Heather