eeek!! I deleted /var/lib/var !!

Ouch!  I need help!

I just accidentally deleted /var/lib/dpkg (don't ask), and now dpkg (and
hence dselect) doesn't have a clue what I've got installed.

And to make things worse, apt-get calmly thinks everything is in perfect
order, and says
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
when I tell it to `apt-get upgrade`.  And just to shove my face in it, it
glibly ignores my demands to --reinstall.

And when I try to reinstall from dselect, it proceeds to download all the
files, but then as soon as it tries to unpack them, it says

Unpacking ldso (from .../ldso_1.9.11-5_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/ldso_1.9.11-5_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 unable to create updated files list file for package ldso: No such file or
directory
 /var/cache/apt/archives/ldso_1.9.11-5_i386.deb

and won't even let me try to reinstall!

Help!  Is there anyway I can regenerate the list of installed packages that
had been in /var/lib/dpkg?   What should I do?

Desperately yours,

Drew Parsons