Re: > 64Meg RAM question

> Will stepping up to potato (I assume that's what you mean by a 2.2
> based kernel) necessarily fix the memory problem?  Also,
> how big a headache am I in for in compiling the kernel and pcmcia
> services?  I'm a bit of a novice at this Linux system administration
> stuff, although I've been a Unix user for years.

you do not need to update to potato just yet.  slink is fully happy with a 2.2
kernel.  Install the kernel-package and read its docs, pcmcia and kernel are
quite easy with it.

The steps boil down to:

place kernel source in /usr/src (or install the kernel-source-<foo> package)
grab pcmcia-source
untar the sources
cd linux (or make the symlink)
make menuconfig
make-kpkg --revision=`uname -n`.1 kernel_image
make-kpkg modules_image
cd ..
dpkg -i kernel-image-<foo>.deb pcmcia-modules-<foo>.deb
reboot

Read the docs before doing this yourself.