Hard disk wakes up often

When my thinkpad 760 ELD is on battery power, I would like the harddisk
to spin down quickly and stay spinned down for as long as possible. To
achieve this I turned off swap, changed the update command in
/etc/init.d/checkroot.sh to [ -x /sbin/update ] && update -s 900 -f 900
and changed /etc/init.d/atd so at wakes up every 600 seconds.

I also set the spindown time to 10 seconds using hdparm, but stil there
is harddisk activity several times a minute, even if I don't type and
there are no log messages.
What more can I do?

Wouter.
--
  3:09pm  up 93 days,  5:06,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.06, 0.01