Debian Slink w/ some Potato Kernel 2.0.38 compile

I recently reinstalled Debian Slink ( the current stable release ) on my
laptop, and upgraded some things to the packages in Potato ( the current
unstable release ).  I then started to recompile my kernel for APM and
getting rid of some unneeded stuff like cdrom support since my laptop
doesn't have one.  Anyway, I ran `make xconfig' and all seems well until I
save and exit.  Then 2 error messges are displayed:

WARNING - broken Config.in!  m was not declared!
WARNING - broken Config.in!  CONFIG_ALPHA_BOOK1 was not declared!

I ignored this and tried to compile the kernel anyway.  Of course I get lots
of errors.  They range from improper asm calls, problems w/ the si register,
void functions falling off the end of control.  These latter errors are
paraphrased.  If anyone wants them I'll start the compile again and try to
capture them.  Also, make menuconfig fails complaining about ncurses
problems, but all the version numbers match.

The machine is a Dell XPi 133 ST w/ 24 megs of RAM, and a 1.3 gig drive w/
35% free.

Charles H. Baker
icq# 12589816 AIM: rascharles
http://www.utc.edu/~cbaker/personal/